Pen Pals and Spanish

Published on: Author: kbocklage Leave a comment

I am so excited to announce that we have PEN PALS THIS YEAR! As many of you know we had pen pals the past two years. The students have had a lot of fun writing letters to our friends in Georgia.

download We learned a lot about Georgian culture while the Georgian students were able to practice their English skills. It was a great experience for both our class and the students in Georgia.

Since then, I have been searching for more students that would be our Pen Pals. I applied to the Peace Corps World Wise Schools Program. This program is an awesome opportunity for teachers and Peace Corps Volunteers to get students involved in their global community.

tumblr_lhafi3a4ku1qc3yz9o1_500

This week I was finally able to talk to our Peace Corps Volunteer. Our volunteer is in the Dominican Republic. She has already been hard at work within her community. This is her second class of Pen Pals while she has been serving. She is teaching people in her community English and has already established a library in her school. Now, some of the students at her school will be writing letter in English to us! Meanwhile, we will be writing letters in Spanish to her students! Today, the students began their simple letters in Spanish and we discussed simple vocabulary words!

I am so excited for this opportunity! I know that the students will learn a lot! This will be a fun adventure in learning Spanish and understanding the world beyond the four walls of our classroom.